December 22, 2013

Blue Wizard/Black Wizard

         St. Marks Church-in-the-Bowery hosts a really cool, offbeat performance series: Incubator Arts Series, which calendars concerts like Blue Wizard/Black Wizard. After walking the church grounds and up to the concert entrance, you are invited to choose a Wizard, or who you came to support. I had no idea I would be on a team, so this was intriguing. You are asked this by two women dressed in shiny, futuristic outfits- also intriguing. What to make of it, I wasn’t sure, but I chose blue; that part was easy. I was then given blue beads of declaration and was ushered to a particular side of the stage, which was in the shape of a star with lights surrounding it, creating an atmosphere of a discotheque. As I sat with the blue team, I couldn’t wait to find out what was to come of this, but I hoped to be fighting the good fight.


         The show began with two hosts of some future time that welcomed us into their world of zany intellect, which included these two Wizards. These Wizards dueled with each other in order to determine the fate of the universe, but mostly just for fun, I think. As it turns out, these two were equal parts lovers and friends and were determining not the fate of the world, but their own fate with one another. It was sweet to see all this unfold: what began as a duel became a reconciling in the end. So, I couldn’t help but feel that we didn’t choose a fighting team of blue/black, but a friends and family team of bride/groom. We knew in the end that the future was not in their zany world of intellect, but us: those supporting a union of the two, a bride and a groom.
         Overall, I loved how fun the show was and I enjoyed being in their imaginary world of games fit for all of us. The beautiful commentary to all of this was the trombonist, who seemed to be mute, so he spoke only through his instrument. With two hosts, two Wizards, and a trombonist, this world was full of dance and song, not without really tall boots and shiny, otherworldly outfits. Nehapwa!

-Sally, Winter 2013