December 12, 2013

Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812

        “Cant’ touch this! Doont… doont, doont. You can’t touch this,” yelled a teenage boy to a group of girls, who did the only thing nice girls can, which is to walk away. I’d like to think they were his friends and he was joking. I don’t know about the girls, but I enjoyed it: a short, unexpected performance on the streets of New York. It surprised me though because it isn’t the early 90s and I didn’t think MC Hammer could hold a candle to other rappers from that time. Surely, there are more interesting choices… The Beastie Boys? A Tribe Called Quest? But, it was a nice pre-show to the concert I planned to see and was walking to: Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812. A friend recommended the show and was also playing in it, so I went knowing it was a musical and was based on Tolstoy’s War and Peace.
        Now, I’m not a reader of Russian novels and not an avid fan of musicals, but still I looked forward to the show, partly because I wanted to support my friend and I also wanted to see what all her raving was about. After the long train ride followed by a subway ride, a short walk and an unexpected street performance, I was glad to finally arrive at the Ars Nova theater. Once there, if wearing a coat, you had to go downstairs and wait in the check-your-coat line, which took you through a short maze of hallways with directions in Russian and Ars Nova workers to assist you (in case you don’t speak Russian- thank you!). The halls were decorated to look like it was under construction or with a modern DIY feel. While walking through these halls and up to the ground-level stage, I felt intrigued and very curious as to what I would find.
        I was surprised when I entered a smallish room with cute, beaded lamps glowing red that cast a warm, romantic hue onto the tables-for-two scattered about the irregularly-shaped room that was enrobed with long, lush, red curtains. Since they served as walls, they united the guests with the performers and created an intimate ambiance, for which I could only guess would be the angst of love won and love lost. In any case, I was anxious to find a seat at one of the larger tables with, I hoped, friendly people who would be eager to share the experience. Luckily, I found the perfect comrade-in-concert, a composer.
        As we made small talk and waited for the show to begin, we noticed two woodwind players, each in opposite corners, warming up. It was nice to hear the English Horn lull through low passages as the Clarinet ran through jazz riffs. All this was accompaniment to the serving of Vodka, the other concert warm-up. The start of the show neared as the strings joined the woodwinds, but in a third corner, to round out the sound in what was beginning to feel like a comfortable restaurant where I was a regular. Soon after, the cast filed out with plates of bread and dumplings to offer their guests of the evening- us! The offering was punctuated with a Russian salute: Nazdorovie! After mingling, audience with cast, we began to wonder: Who plays who? And, who are the characters? Is there a funny guy? Does someone fall in love? Die? Before waiting too long or getting too tipsy, the show began when the tall guy started playing the accordion and the rhythm section formed behind “the bar.” The ice had been broken.


        And so it began with “The Introductions:” a raucous, joyful beginning to a mixed-genre musical. Our curiosities were answered as each character was introduced and described just enough, then the story began in full swing as the tall guy sat down at the piano to continue with its telling. I learned the story has all the essentials with its ten-member cast and six-piece band. There is young love and heart break, old love grown stale and bitter, a funny guy, parental fear and family arguments, best friends, remorse, attempted suicide, and reconciliation- whoo! And! There was an opera within the opera!
        By the end of the concert, I felt tired from both tears and laughter, but I was quick to chat about it with my comrade-in-concert as I waited to congratulate my friend. We agreed that it was incredible to be immersed with the performers singing and moving all about you with the surround-sound band accompanying them from each corner. And, we agreed we would see it again in a heartbeat. I mean, there was a shoot-out! A duel!

-Anonymous, November 2012